Reportaje Orfanato Nepal

1/15

Every year, during the evening of Holy Thursday, one of the most arousing events inside and outside our borders takes place on the streets of Malaga, the accompanying by the Spanish Legion of the Christ of the Good Death.

The Congregation of Mena, as it is known today, was born from the union in 1915 of the Brotherhood of our Lady of Solitude and the Brotherhood of the Holy Christ of the Good Death. It is not until the late 20s when the bond with the military unit was born.

The high commanders of the newly created Foreigners Unit made a visit to the chapel in the church of Santo Domingo and were fascinated by the image sculptured by Pedro de Mena. They made a formal petition to make the Holy Christ of the Good Death the protector of the Spanish Legion from that moment on.

The petition was approved by the governing board of the Brotherhood. So the image which was until then guarded by congregants during the traditional exhibition that allowed the people to contemplate and venerate it, would now be protected by the imposing legionnaires. During the Holy Week of 1930 the legionnaires made their first procession after their protector under the gaze of Queen Victoria Eugenia.

Cada año, durante la tarde del Jueves Santo, tiene lugar en las calles de Málaga uno de los acontecimientos que más interés despierta dentro y fuera de nuestras fronteras. El acompañamiento de la Legión al Cristo de la Buena Muerte.

La Congregación de Mena, tal y como se la conoce hoy, nace de la unión en 1915 de la Cofradía de Nuestra Señora de la Soledad y la Hermandad del Santísimo Cristo de la Buena Muerte y Ánimas, aunque no es hasta finales de los años 20 cuando nace el vínculo con el cuerpo castrense.

Fueron los altos mandos del recién creado Tercio de Extranjeros los que al realizar una visita a la capilla de la iglesia de Santo Domingo, quedaron fascinados al contemplar la imagen realizada por Pedro de Mena y efectuaron una petición formal para que el Cristo de la Buena Muerte fuese a partir de ese momento protector de la Legión.

Aprobada la solicitud por el seno de la cofradía y su junta de gobierno, la Imagen, hasta entonces custodiada por los congregantes durante la tradicional exposición que permitía al pueblo contemplarla y venerarla, pasó a ser protegida por los imponentes caballeros legionarios, que en la Semana Santa de 1930 realizaron su primer desfile procesional bajo la mirada de la reina Victoria Eugenia, tras su ya protector.

Copyright © Pablo Cobos. All rights reserved.